- Restful-Booker-Platform - A SaaS based platform that can be used to practise test automation tools against. You can find a publically deployed version of RBP here: https://automationintesting.online
- Api-Framework - A collection of API framework templates with examples checks within them to help you get started with API checking
- Wirebridge - Wirebridge is a configurable API that helps teams abstract complex data creation tasks behind programmable HTTP requests
- Naughty Strings - A series of strings that can be used in data driven testing
- automationintesting.online - A publically deployed instance of Restful-booker-platform that you can practise automation in testing with
- Restful-booker - A publically deployed API that allows you to practise API testing and checking
- All Things Postman - A great set of tutorials around using the API testing tool Postman
- Approval-Testing-Koans - A series of automated checks that let you practise Approval Testing
- Cyber-Dojo - Cyber Dojo offers a wealth of coding exercises focused on creating tests with different languages and tools. The whole site is on the web so you can play with different languages without having to worry about the setup.
Automation in testing courses
Below are a series of free courses you can take to help improve your programming skills. We recommend you take the introduction to programming first.
- Adjusting Test Size For Large Systems With Dependency scope - Trish Koo - A great post from Trish that details an approach to understanding your product, identify areas of test and identifying it’s key dependencies whilst ignoring the rest.
- Test Heuristic Cheat Sheets - Elizabeth Hendrickson - An awesome list of heuristics to help you trigger test ideas. Great for data driven testing and checking.
- RCRCRC - Karen’s mnemonic that can help trigger thinking around focusing what automated checks take priority. It also has some details on what heuristics and mnemonics are - Karen Johnson
- End-to-End Tests Considered Harmful - Steve Smith share an interesting view on E2E tests.
- Taxonomy for Test Oracles - Doug Hoffman - A fantastic list and explanation of different oracle types.
These are books that we have read and found to be influential
- The Glass Cage - Nicholas Karr - A exploration of how automation in different industries is affecting us as humans
- An Introduction to General Systems Thinking - Jerry Weinberg - An in-depth exploration of the challenge we face when attempting to understand general systems such as sofware applications
- Experiences Of Test Automation - Dorothy Graham - An experience report on Test automation techniques and practises from the very experienced Dorothy Graham, a long time speaker on test automation.
- Testing In Devops - Katrina Clokie - A fantastic introduction to how testing fits into the devops approach of software delivery
- McLuhan for Managers - Mark Federman - An introduction to the laws of media created by Marshall McLuhan a law that can be applied to the tools we use to extend our testing.
- Before The Code: First Steps to Automation in Testing - Jim Hazen - In this book you’ll learn about the things you need to do first before writing a line of code.
- Umaar Devtools - A weekly newsletter that gives you awesome tips on Developer tools
Development Principles and Practices