- Restful-Booker-Platform - A SaaS based platform that can be used to practise test automation tools against. You can find a publically deployed version of RBP here: https://automationintesting.online
- Api-Framework - A collection of API framework templates with examples checks within them to help you get started with API checking
- Wirebridge - Wirebridge is a configurable API that helps teams abstract complex data creation tasks behind programmable HTTP requests
- Naughty Strings - A series of strings that can be used in data driven testing
Automation in testing courses
Below are a series of free courses you can take to help improve your programming skills. We recommend you take the introduction to programming first.
- Integrated Tests Are A Scam - J.B. Rainsberger - A fantastic talk on the dangers and cost of attempting to test multiple integrated components at the same time
- Automation - Time To Change Our Models - Iain McCowatt - An exploration of how we should model products in multiple ways and how that will affect our automation approaches
- Adjusting Test Size For Large Systems With Dependency scope - Trish Koo - A great post from Trish that details an approach to understanding your product, identify areas of test and identifying it’s key dependencies whilst ignoring the rest.
- Test Heuristic Cheat Sheets - Elizabeth Hendrickson - An awesome list of heuristics to help you trigger test ideas. Great for data driven testing and checking.
- RCRCRC - Karen’s mnemonic that can help trigger thinking around focusing what automated checks take priority. It also has some details on what heuristics and mnemonics are - Karen Johnson
- End-to-End Tests Considered Harmful - Steve Smith share an interesting view on E2E tests.
These are books that we have read and found to be influential
- The Glass Cage - Nicholas Karr - A exploration of how automation in different industries is affecting us as humans
- An Introduction to General Systems Thinking - Jerry Weinberg - An in-depth exploration of the challenge we face when attempting to understand general systems such as sofware applications
- Experiences Of Test Automation - Dorothy Graham - An experience report on Test automation techniques and practises from the very experienced Dorothy Graham, a long time speaker on test automation.
- Testing In Devops - Katrina Clokie - A fantastic introduction to how testing fits into the devops approach of software delivery
- McLuhan for Managers - Mark Federman - An introduction to the laws of media created by Marshall McLuhan a law that can be applied to the tools we use to extend our testing.
- Umaar Devtools - A weekly newsletter that gives you awesome tips on Developer tools
Development Principles and Practices